Sunday, September 26, 2010

"The MisEducation"

I work at a high school in an urban area as a TA(teacher's assistant). I've only been at the school for a few weeks but I have already seen some issues that have rubbed me the wrong way. Outside of the obvious lack of resources, learning curve, and other issues, one sticks out to me in particular. Why is it that children in an urban area, if not in other areas, have entrepreneurship or finance as part of their curriculum? 

For finance, I'm not just talking about learning how just balance a check book or use a credit card (which by the way are important but not the only thing they need to know). I'm talking about cashflow, learning how to read financial statements, and what the different asset classes are and how they can attain them. Why do I pose this question you ask? 

The other day while I was in the school, I passed by a bulletin board that read, in big bold red letters 'GO TO SCHOOL, GET A JOB, AND BE HAPPY'. That really disturbed me. Most school systems are set up to have an academic and a professional(i.e. job training) component to their foundation. The two critical components that they lack are the ones that could eventually help some of these neighborhoods improve dramatically. FINANCIAL AND ENTREPRENEURIAL EDUCATION!! These two aspects of the learning process can greatly affect a child's future endeavors. 

Most schools teach children to WORK for a great company. Why not teach them how to OWN a great company that can employ a lot of people? This subject always gets me frustrated because I see what happens when the education of how money can work FOR you gets overlooked...I see that I'm going to have to make this a series when I can give more information...until next time, keep your heads up!

No comments:

Post a Comment