Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Stop Looking, Start Creating!

As I am preparing to take my entrepreneurial leap, I have noticed that the time in between the initial idea and accomplishing it is very critical.  Working with kids makes me richer everyday. The gratification is immeasurable. My job is basically paid community service, so I decided to do it more so for the experience than the pay. 

But that doesn't pay the bills. That is a big sacrifice because the lack of funds is definitely a reality.  So now the question remains: do I need to get another job? This really goes against the potential entrepreneur in me. It's been rattling my brain for the last couple of months but the reality of the hardships is very immediate. I have been looking for another job for a while but I have not found a part time or full-time job that would do, or have gotten the opportunity for.

But doesn't this lead back to the reason why I wanted to become an entrepreneur in the first place? Isn't the purpose of my journey to be in a position to CREATE jobs instead of LOOK for them? Steve Gerber wrote a book that focuses on young entrepreneurs creating business opportunities for themselves and never having to work a "real" job in their life. Here's a quote from the book about how Generation Y's mindset has to adapt to the changing climate:

“The ‘work hard, get good grades, and go to college to get a job’ mantra is dead.  If we don’t want Gen Y to become a lost generation, we must stop wasting time sending out resumes and, instead, start building real income-generating businesses that are capable of supporting us. It’s time for our generation to start creating our own jobs instead of begging others for them.”


Recently I have started my real estate investing quest and still have many other ideas in the works (mind has to stay working). The process is a lot slower, hours are longer and the work is more tedious but I'm excited to do it. It's what I want to do and I know the reward is going to be great. More importantly, I will be able to show others that they can reach their potential if they are equipped with the tools and determination to reach their dreams.I have to be persistent and patient. Like the great Sam Cooke said, " It's been a long time coming, but I know, A CHANGE GON' COME!"

1 comment:

  1. Great post and continued success in your entrepreneurial journey. Your example will be inspiration to others. The job mantra is indeed dead and now it's about executing our entrepreneurial dreams to effect a new economic reality for our communities. Thanks for being a leader and influencer in this effort.

    ReplyDelete