Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My Thoughts: Part 1

So last week, I went to my first real estate class. Out of about 15 people there, I was the youngest and the only black male. It was cool though. The class was from 6:30-10:15 pm, and I was engaged like a 3 year old watching Elmo on Sesame Street for the entire time. Some of the other adults were falling asleep or texting. But all of my attention was given to the instructor. Mr. Haven (the instructor) was giving us some of his story and relating it to the real estate lessons that he was teaching and it made for great parallels. 

The best part was when he began to talk about investing. I really perked up then. The other students in the classroom looked a little confused or surprised that he was saying if Americans would stop watching idol then they would know and understand some of the methods that allowed him to build his wealth. They were amazed at the amount of money that he estimating he was making just off of his classes alone, not to mention investment deals, his brokerage firm, and other real estate deals. His emphasis on the business side of things was paramount in most of the class and throughout his life story. I am now boiling over with excitement to go to the next class and soak up as much knowledge as I possibly can. My ambition and confidence just went up 10 notches but so did my patience and resilience. 

The process of learning is ongoing and somehow, like fine wine, gets better with time. My energy level has even risen because listening to him last week just reassured me that my dream is definitely possible and probably a lot will come sooner and larger than expected. This is why I feel like a financial education should implemented in schools. If children were drilled like this in grade schools then a lot of the financial woes would not come to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment